Thursday, December 11, 2008

Hilly Street Blues

There are many words you could use to describe the New Streets. 'Flat' is not one that springs to mind. 'Easy' is another you can forget about. Every year I tell myself I don't care if I don't beat X, or if I get thrashed by Y. And every year I really mean it. And then Andrew says 'Go!' again, and all that gets forgotten. Again. And for half an hour or so, it's pure torture.

This what it feels like -



And this is what it looks like -


But it's strangely compulsive. And so in 51 weeks time we'll be back again. Yes, I know it's only 4 miles. But I haven't yet found a tougher 4 miles on tarmac, anywhere. So, maybe this event encapsulates why we run. It's a challenge, and it hurts, but there is redemption in the camaraderie and the achievement, whether you finish first, last, or nowhere.

Actually, you can't finish nowhere. Not at the New Streets.





No comments: